Holding on to Motivation
Getting started is often the hardest part of becoming active, and low motivation is often the biggest barrier we have to overcome before we start moving. Thankfully, there are a number of ways you can overcome this hurdle and get out the door today. Olly, from the Sport Otago Green Prescription (GRx) team, tells us how…
- Enjoyment Factor – Start by choosing something you enjoy. If the thought of walking gives you chills, why not go for a bike ride? Or if you love water, find a pool and dive in.
- Buddy Up – It’s also helpful if you find somebody who shares your interests and who is happy to join you. Find that friend, set a time, and get yourselves moving.
- Get Supported – If you’re struggling to find people to join you, a Green Prescription can help. GRx run a number of taster activity sessions including walking groups, aqua jogging, and resistance training which provide fun, non-judgemental environments where you can meet people just like you.
Get Your Activity in Top Gear
Unfortunately, even with a good start, it is very easy to slip back into inactivity. Motivation is fleeting so it is important to have a way of achieving consistent activity. One strategy we can employ is goal setting. Relevant, achievable, yet challenging goals can help to enliven your physical activity experience and drive you to continue moving. These goals should reflect your reasons for wanting to get active in the first place and can be very simple. An example of one such goal would be, to be able to walk 5km continuously in the next three months. You could break this down into steps for each month so you know what you are reaching for and how each month will be different:
– Walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes in December
– Walk 4 times a week for 30 minutes in January with one hill walk
– Walk 5 times a week for 45 minutes in February
If you are having trouble setting goals, you can get in touch with Olly and Ashleigh about Green Prescription. They can walk you through the process step by step and help you on the path to a healthier lifestyle through manageable, consistent physical activity.
Green Prescription Summer Walks Series
Taking part in activities in a group provides a great way to stay motivated and the great news is that the GRx Summer Walks start this week; they will run on Thursday evenings from 5.30-6.30pm starting at Sport Otago, 40 Logan Park Drive. They will be held on the 20, 27 November and 4, 11 December. There is no cost involved so bring a friend and go at your own pace.
To find out more about the walking series or the other activity sessions GRx offer, see the Sport Otago Green Prescription webpage at: