The Starting Blocks
The Ministry of Health tells us that being physically active at a moderate intensity for 30 minutes most days of the week can help us live longer, healthier lives. However, it can be difficult to achieve that level of activity if you haven’t been active for a while or have a busy work-life schedule. So, where to start?
Clock Up Your Minutes!
We’d like to introduce Ashleigh Taylor and Olly Jowsey, Green Prescription Coordinators at Sport Otago, who say the good news is that you can gradually increase your activity levels until you reach 30 minutes regularly. They have eight great ways for you to get started using small, yet manageable changes:
2) Park further away from the shops, work or school.
3) Get off the bus a stop or two early.
4) Use housework and gardening to work up a sweat.
5) Wash your own car or dog.
6) Walk on the spot during TV advertisements.
7) Go for a walk as part of your lunch break.
8) Spend five minutes each day doing something active.
Give it a try and you’ll be surprised how much you can achieve. All it takes is one step in the right direction and a mindful approach to change. Stay tuned for more tips and ideas from Ashleigh and Olly next week….
If you want to get started now and need one-to-one support, call 0800 ACTIVE (0800 228 483) and speak to Ashleigh and Olly about receiving free advice and support on the Green Prescription Programme, or visit the Sport Otago website:www.sportotago.co.nz/health/green-prescription